By Alex Sundby, Sarah Lynch Baldwin, Tucker Reals
Updated on: May 18, 2026 /
5:30 PM EDT / CBS News
What to know about the Iran war today:
- President Trump announced Monday that he was calling off what he said was a scheduled attack on Iran that was supposed to happen Tuesday. The president said he made the decision because "serious negotiations" were taking place toward a peace deal that Mr. Trump said will be acceptable to the U.S. and countries in the Middle East.
- Before Mr. Trump's announcement, Iran had said it conveyed another amended set of terms for a potential peace deal. Tehran says it is focused entirely on an agreement to end the war and has not yet "discussed any details regarding nuclear matters."
- Mr. Trump had warned Sunday that "the Clock is Ticking" for Iran to accept a peace agreement, and "there won't be anything left of them" if the Islamic Republic's leaders don't "get moving, FAST."
11m ago
WH deputy press secretary: "Iran must renounce their nuclear ambitions for good"
Following President Trump's announcement that he is delaying strikes on Iran that had initially been planned for Tuesday, White House deputy press secretary Anna Kelly said Monday in an interview with Fox News that "nothing has changed" in regard to Iran and that Mr. Trump remains focused on the country's nuclear program.
"The Iranian ability to enrich has been totally decimated by Operation Midnight Hammer," she said, referring to the June 2025 strikes on several Iranian nuclear facilities. "This enriched uranium that they possess, they can't keep it. President Trump has been very clear about that. That is one of the red lines in these negotiations."
"The President has made our red lines in these negotiations very clear," she said. "Iran must renounce their nuclear ambitions for good."
55m ago
Oil prices and stock markets worldwide swung through a shaky Monday with uncertainty about what will happen with the Iran war.
The S&P 500 swiveled between gains and losses before finishing with a dip of 0.1%, its second loss since setting an all-time high last week. The Dow Jones Industrial Average added 159 points, or 0.3%, and the Nasdaq composite fell 0.5% after both indexes likewise yo-yoed.
Stock prices moved in the opposite direction of oil prices, which have been twitchy because of uncertainty about how long the Iran war will keep the Strait of Hormuz closed and prevent oil tankers from delivering crude. The price for a barrel of Brent crude oil, the international standard, went from a high of $112 overnight to below $107 in the morning before turning back higher.
4:45 PM
President Trump warned that a full, large-scale assault of Iran could happen "on a moment's notice" if a deal isn't reached.
Mr. Trump said in a social media post he's not going ahead with a planned attack of Iran on Tuesday, saying serious negotiations are taking place.
Iran said it's focused entirely on an agreement to end the war, but has not discussed any details on nuclear matters, the Trump administration's top issue.
Updated 4:10 PM
President Trump on Monday afternoon said the U.S. "will NOT" follow through with "scheduled" attacks on Iran on Tuesday, after he said partner nations in the Middle East asked him to hold off. The president made the announcement on Truth Social.
"In their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond," he wrote. "This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!"
He said he told Pentagon leaders that while "we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow," he instructed them "to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached."
Read more here.
2:46 PM
Iran's Revolutionary Guard said Monday that internet fiber optic cables passing through the Strait of Hormuz could be brought under a system of permits as Tehran tightens control over the waterway.
"Following the imposition of control over the Strait of Hormuz, Iran, citing its absolute sovereignty over the bed and subsoil of its territorial sea ... could declare that all fiber-optic cables passing through the waterway are subject to permits," the Guard said in a social media post.
2:09 PM
President Trump told the New York Post on Monday that Iran knows "what's going to be happening soon," and that he is "not open" to any concessions for Tehran after its latest response in the peace talks.
The president made the comments to the Post in a brief phone call with the outlet.
"I can tell you they want to make a deal more than ever, because they know we're—what's going to be happening soon," Mr. Trump said.
1:45 PM
U.S. Central Command said midday Monday that the military has redirected 85 commercial vessels amid the ongoing U.S. blockade on Iranian ports – up from 84 a few hours earlier.
U.S. forces have disabled four other vessels, CENTCOM said earlier on social media.
"CENTCOM continues to strictly enforce the U.S. blockade against Iranian ports," it posted.
1:16 PM
The U.S. Treasury on Monday extended its sanctions waiver for Russian oil cargoes that were already at sea by 30 days.
The latest "temporary 30-day general license" will "provide the most vulnerable nations with the ability to temporarily access Russian oil currently stranded at sea," Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a post on X.
"This extension will provide additional flexibility, and we will work with these nations to provide specific licenses as needed," he said. "This general license will help stabilize the physical crude market and ensure oil reaches the most energy-vulnerable countries."
"It will also help reroute existing supply to countries most in need by reducing China's ability to stockpile discounted oil," Bessent added.
12:51 PM
Traffic through the Strait of Hormuz was slightly higher last week, returning to levels in line with the average recorded since the start of the conflict, after hitting a wartime low.
A total of 55 commodities vessels crossed the strategic waterway between May 11 and 17, according to data from maritime tracking firm Kpler as of Monday morning. The previous week, just 19 vessels crossed - the lowest weekly figure since the first U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iran on Feb. 28.
Iranian state television said Friday the Revolutionary Guards were allowing more ships to transit the strait, after reporting a day earlier that "more than 30 ships" had been permitted to pass.
Despite the increase, last week's crossings remain broadly in line with wartime averages.
Since March 1, Kpler has recorded 663 commodity vessels transiting the strait, 55 per week on average.
In peacetime, the Strait of Hormuz handles roughly a fifth of global oil and LNG shipments, as well as other major commodities, including fertilizer.
12:24 PM
Lebanon's health ministry said Monday that 3,020 people have been killed in Israeli strikes since early March and another 9,273 people have been wounded.
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said Monday he was ready to "do the impossible" to stop the war with Israel. Last week, a truce was extended for 45 days following a third round of talks between Lebanon and Israel in Washington, D.C. — discussions to which Hezbollah is opposed.
"The framework that Lebanon has set for the negotiations consists of an Israeli withdrawal, a ceasefire, the deployment of the army along the border, the return of the displaced, and economic aid," Aoun said in a statement Monday.
"My duty, based on my position and my responsibility, is to do the impossible, and to choose what is least costly, in order to stop the war against Lebanon and its people," he added.
Since the start of the ceasefire on April 17, Israel has continued to launch strikes, carry out demolitions and issue evacuation orders in south Lebanon, saying it is targeting the Iran-backed armed group.
Hezbollah has continued operations against Israeli forces in south Lebanon and northern Israel, including what it said was a drone attack Monday on "the vehicle of the commander of the 300th Brigade of the Israeli enemy army."
11:55 AM
U.S. forces have redirected 84 commercial vessels amid the ongoing U.S. blockade on Iranian ports, U.S. Central Command said Monday.
They have disabled four others, CENTCOM said in a post on X.
The blockade has been in place since mid-April.
"The Iranian ability to enrich has been totally decimated by Operation Midnight Hammer," she said, referring to the June 2025 strikes on several Iranian nuclear facilities. "This enriched uranium that they possess, they can't keep it. President Trump has been very clear about that. That is one of the red lines in these negotiations."
"The President has made our red lines in these negotiations very clear," she said. "Iran must renounce their nuclear ambitions for good."
55m ago
Stocks, oil prices yo-yo amid Iran uncertainty
By The Associated PressOil prices and stock markets worldwide swung through a shaky Monday with uncertainty about what will happen with the Iran war.
The S&P 500 swiveled between gains and losses before finishing with a dip of 0.1%, its second loss since setting an all-time high last week. The Dow Jones Industrial Average added 159 points, or 0.3%, and the Nasdaq composite fell 0.5% after both indexes likewise yo-yoed.
Stock prices moved in the opposite direction of oil prices, which have been twitchy because of uncertainty about how long the Iran war will keep the Strait of Hormuz closed and prevent oil tankers from delivering crude. The price for a barrel of Brent crude oil, the international standard, went from a high of $112 overnight to below $107 in the morning before turning back higher.
4:45 PM
Trump warns assault on Iran could happen "on a moment's notice" if deal isn't reached
By Natalie BrandPresident Trump warned that a full, large-scale assault of Iran could happen "on a moment's notice" if a deal isn't reached.
Mr. Trump said in a social media post he's not going ahead with a planned attack of Iran on Tuesday, saying serious negotiations are taking place.
Iran said it's focused entirely on an agreement to end the war, but has not discussed any details on nuclear matters, the Trump administration's top issue.
Updated 4:10 PM
Trump says U.S. "will NOT" follow through with "scheduled" military attack on Iran
By Kathryn WatsonPresident Trump on Monday afternoon said the U.S. "will NOT" follow through with "scheduled" attacks on Iran on Tuesday, after he said partner nations in the Middle East asked him to hold off. The president made the announcement on Truth Social.
"In their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond," he wrote. "This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!"
He said he told Pentagon leaders that while "we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow," he instructed them "to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached."
Read more here.
2:46 PM
Iran threatens permits for internet cables passing through Strait of Hormuz
By AFPIran's Revolutionary Guard said Monday that internet fiber optic cables passing through the Strait of Hormuz could be brought under a system of permits as Tehran tightens control over the waterway.
"Following the imposition of control over the Strait of Hormuz, Iran, citing its absolute sovereignty over the bed and subsoil of its territorial sea ... could declare that all fiber-optic cables passing through the waterway are subject to permits," the Guard said in a social media post.
2:09 PM
Trump tells New York Post: Iran knows "what's going to be happening soon"
By Sarah Lynch BaldwinPresident Trump told the New York Post on Monday that Iran knows "what's going to be happening soon," and that he is "not open" to any concessions for Tehran after its latest response in the peace talks.
The president made the comments to the Post in a brief phone call with the outlet.
"I can tell you they want to make a deal more than ever, because they know we're—what's going to be happening soon," Mr. Trump said.
1:45 PM
CENTCOM says forces redirected 85 vessels amid blockade
By Sarah Lynch BaldwinU.S. Central Command said midday Monday that the military has redirected 85 commercial vessels amid the ongoing U.S. blockade on Iranian ports – up from 84 a few hours earlier.
U.S. forces have disabled four other vessels, CENTCOM said earlier on social media.
"CENTCOM continues to strictly enforce the U.S. blockade against Iranian ports," it posted.
1:16 PM
U.S. extends sanctions waiver on Russian at-sea oil by 30 days, Bessent says
By CBS News, AFPThe U.S. Treasury on Monday extended its sanctions waiver for Russian oil cargoes that were already at sea by 30 days.
The latest "temporary 30-day general license" will "provide the most vulnerable nations with the ability to temporarily access Russian oil currently stranded at sea," Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a post on X.
"This extension will provide additional flexibility, and we will work with these nations to provide specific licenses as needed," he said. "This general license will help stabilize the physical crude market and ensure oil reaches the most energy-vulnerable countries."
"It will also help reroute existing supply to countries most in need by reducing China's ability to stockpile discounted oil," Bessent added.
12:51 PM
Strait of Hormuz tanker traffic slightly higher after wartime low
By AFPTraffic through the Strait of Hormuz was slightly higher last week, returning to levels in line with the average recorded since the start of the conflict, after hitting a wartime low.
A total of 55 commodities vessels crossed the strategic waterway between May 11 and 17, according to data from maritime tracking firm Kpler as of Monday morning. The previous week, just 19 vessels crossed - the lowest weekly figure since the first U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iran on Feb. 28.
Iranian state television said Friday the Revolutionary Guards were allowing more ships to transit the strait, after reporting a day earlier that "more than 30 ships" had been permitted to pass.
Despite the increase, last week's crossings remain broadly in line with wartime averages.
Since March 1, Kpler has recorded 663 commodity vessels transiting the strait, 55 per week on average.
In peacetime, the Strait of Hormuz handles roughly a fifth of global oil and LNG shipments, as well as other major commodities, including fertilizer.
12:24 PM
Israeli strikes killed more than 3,000 people in Lebanon, health ministry says
By CBS News, AFPLebanon's health ministry said Monday that 3,020 people have been killed in Israeli strikes since early March and another 9,273 people have been wounded.
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said Monday he was ready to "do the impossible" to stop the war with Israel. Last week, a truce was extended for 45 days following a third round of talks between Lebanon and Israel in Washington, D.C. — discussions to which Hezbollah is opposed.
"The framework that Lebanon has set for the negotiations consists of an Israeli withdrawal, a ceasefire, the deployment of the army along the border, the return of the displaced, and economic aid," Aoun said in a statement Monday.
"My duty, based on my position and my responsibility, is to do the impossible, and to choose what is least costly, in order to stop the war against Lebanon and its people," he added.
Since the start of the ceasefire on April 17, Israel has continued to launch strikes, carry out demolitions and issue evacuation orders in south Lebanon, saying it is targeting the Iran-backed armed group.
Hezbollah has continued operations against Israeli forces in south Lebanon and northern Israel, including what it said was a drone attack Monday on "the vehicle of the commander of the 300th Brigade of the Israeli enemy army."
11:55 AM
U.S. forces redirected 84 vessels amid blockade, military says
By Sarah Lynch BaldwinU.S. forces have redirected 84 commercial vessels amid the ongoing U.S. blockade on Iranian ports, U.S. Central Command said Monday.
They have disabled four others, CENTCOM said in a post on X.
The blockade has been in place since mid-April.
No comments:
Post a Comment