The Greek Courier

Your Official News Correspondent in North America

Thursday, April 30, 2026

Scared and angry British Jews demand more from government after knife attack


By Marissa Davison and Ben Makori
April 30, 2026, 5:19 AM PDT
Updated 1 hour ago

LONDON, April 30 (Reuters) - Scared, angry at the government, and wondering whether they need to leave the country, British Jews in the north London suburb of Golders Green were reeling a day after an attacker stabbed two men ​in the street.

Members of the Jewish community said they were looking for Prime Minister Keir Starmer to show he can address the ‌root causes of increasingly frequent antisemitic attacks and keep them safe.

"People are really concerned, people are afraid, people are uncomfortable walking in the street, people are blaming obviously the government for not doing anything about what's going on," Shloime Rand, one of the men stabbed on Wednesday, told ITV News. Both victims are in a stable condition.

Wednesday's stabbing was the most serious ​and violent in a spate of recent attacks aimed at Jews in London, and comes less than a year after a deadly attack at ​a synagogue in Manchester.


Starmer, whose wife is Jewish, has pledged more funding for community policing organisations, including the one that ⁠helped stop Wednesday's knifeman, and has promised legislation to stop "malign state actors" hiring proxies to conduct attacks.

"We must absolutely deal with the root causes of both antisemitism ​and extremism," Starmer said as he held a meeting with criminal justice agencies.

NEW ATTACK, OLD RESPONSE

For some, the official response felt all too familiar.
A Jewish News ​digital front page decried what it called a "Bull$#@# Bingo" response, declaring "Jews Bleed. Cue the cliche" above a list of statements of solidarity commonly used by politicians.

The local lawmaker and chief of London's police force were both heckled as they spoke to media on Wednesday.

"Are the government going to do anything meaningful? Well, let's wait and see. Don't hold your breath,” solicitor ​David Pearl, 69, told Reuters on Thursday morning.


He said he wanted to leave Britain but his children did not. "I don't feel safe anymore."

Calev Swabel, a 21-year-old ​intern, said he understood the sentiment.

"I love England. I'm a proud British Jew and a Jewish Brit, but it really does worry me. (That's) something that I've never felt before," ‌he told ⁠Reuters.

POLITICAL DIMENSION

The incident comes ahead of local-government elections on May 7 in which Starmer's Labour Party are expected to suffer heavy losses, in part due to a perception that they have failed to achieve much for the centrists who backed them in July 2024 and also alienated many on the party's traditional left wing.

Starmer visited the area on Thursday, where his arrival was greeted by a small group of protesters shouting "shame on you". His opponents have also been quick to ​go to the scene and amplify ​the message that the government is ⁠not doing enough.

The opposition Conservative Party leader, Kemi Badenoch, was there within hours, calling antisemitism a "national emergency".


Reform UK Leader Nigel Farage visited on Thursday, saying the interests of British Jews had been overlooked in order not to upset parts ​of Labour's voter base, drawing a direct line between left-wing anti-Israel protests and rising antisemitism.

"There's a feeling that we've ​been appeasing or pandering ⁠a segment of the population for electoral purposes, rather than standing up for what's right," he told reporters.

Interior minister Shabana Mahmood acknowledged the intensity and scale of pro-Palestinian protests had put pressure on the Jewish community, but said the government had sought to limit them.

She said it was up to all faiths and viewpoints to ⁠speak out ​against antisemitism.
"When I take the stand that I am taking against antisemitism, I am doing so ​as a practising Muslim. It is absolutely in line with my faith," she told BBC radio.

"What I want for all of our citizens, our Jewish citizens, and Muslim and others, is safety ​and security and the freedom of this land."

(This story has been corrected to fix the spelling of the man's first name to Shloime, not Shilome, in paragraph 3)

Reporting by Marissa Davison and Ben Makori, additional reporting by Muvija M, writing by William James; Editing by Andrew Heavens

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles., opens new tab
Posted by John Damellos at 10:45 AM
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Followers

Blog Archive

Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις

  • Iran stated it had no plans to target the UAE, while Trump claims the US has downed 7 small Iranian ships in the Strait of Hormuz.
    The Greek Courier Today, 8:19 PM Iran has stated it had “no plans” to target the United Arab Emirates (UAE), as reported by Iranian state te...
  • 'Possibly the least pressured person ever': Trump says he has 'all the time in the World' for Iran conflict
    But the president is still pushing to speed up Iranian minesweeping efforts amid uncertain peace talks By Gregory Svirnovskiy 04/23/2026 10:...
  • U.S. says it struck two Iran-flagged oil tankers trying to skirt blockade
    Politics Published Fri, May 8 2026 10:23 AM EDT Updated 26 Min Ago Kevin Breuninger Key Points The U.S. military said it struck two Iran-fla...
  • Trump jokes that the US Navy will takeover Cuba 'almost immediately' on the way back from Iran
    News   World  Cuba By Malek Fouda Published on 02/05/2026 Trump appeared to hint at a potential military operation in Cuba after US forces “...
  • Trump orders extended naval blockade of Iran
    Robert White Last updated 29 April 2026 7:41am BST Key moments President targets Iranian economy US aides are preparing for a prolonged bloc...
  • Trump says he’s not thinking about Americans’ finances ‘even a little bit’ in Iran talks
    NBC NEWS Trump said the “only thing” that matters is that Iran “can’t have a nuclear weapon.” May 12, 2026 By Allan Smith   President Donald...
  • UK is sending a warship to the Middle East to join the French Carrier Strike Group ahead of potential Hormuz mission
    May 9th, 2026 Sources: AFP, USNI News The UK plans to send the destroyer HMS Dragon to the Middle East ahead of any international mission to...
  • Trump threatens Iran with AI picture of himself with a gun: ‘No more Mr. Nice guy!’
    Politics Published Wed, Apr 29 2026 4:54 AM EDT Updated 2 Hours Ago Key Points Trump threatened Iran in a Truth Social post on Wednesday mor...
  • Greek minister says mystery drone discovered comes from a 'foreign state'
    A Greek military source said the flying robot, found this week off the island of Lefkada, may have been Ukrainian. Kyiv has admitted using d...
  • Iran responds to US peace proposal as tensions escalate in the region’s waterways
    Updated 2:39 PM EDT, Sun May 10, 2026 Here's the latest • Where negotiations stand: Tehran has responded to Washington’s latest propos...

About Me

John Damellos
View my complete profile
Picture Window theme. Powered by Blogger.