Monday, May 18, 2026

3 killed in shooting at San Diego’s largest mosque, police say


Two teen suspects also were found dead in a car near the scene. Hate speech was scrawled on one of the weapons, officials told CNN.

Updated 7:39 PM EDT, Mon May 18, 2026

What we know so far

• Three people, including a security guard, were killed in a shooting today at San Diego’s largest mosque, authorities said. Authorities are currently updating the media with more information.

• Two teen suspects were found dead in a car near the Islamic Center of San Diego, Mark Remily, the special agent in charge of FBI San Diego, said at an earlier news conference. They “appear to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds,” San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said.

• One of the suspects took a firearm from their parents’ home and left suicide note that contained writings about racial pride, law enforcement officials told CNN. Hate speech was also scrawled on one of the weapons, they said.


4 min ago

Police received call about "runaway juvenile" this morning

By Zoe Sottile

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl speaks during a briefing on Monday, May 18. KGTV

Police first received a call about a “runaway juvenile” Monday morning, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said at a news conference.

The teenager’s mother reported her son was suicidal, that several of her weapons were missing, and that her son was with a “companion” dressed in camo.

“That began to trigger a larger threat assessment picture,” he said. “Our threat management unit began to take the tips and leads that we had and utilize the technology we have available to us.”

Police have previously said two teenagers, believed to be the suspects in the mosque shooting, were found dead apparently of self-inflicted injuries earlier today.


9 min ago

NOW: Officials give another update on the deadly mosque shooting

By Elise Hammond

Officials in San Diego are now giving another update on the deadly shooting at the Islamic Center.

A few hours ago, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl and others laid out what they knew so far in the early stages of the investigation. Three people were killed in the shooting, the chief said.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria is also expected to speak.

24 min ago

Resident witnessed shots fired, man driving away in neighborhood where landscaper was shot

By Jeff Winter

Adrian Collen had just arrived back to the home he shares with his mother – five blocks south of San Diego’s largest mosque – when he heard five gunshots and ran to the door where he saw a white car with the driver’s side window broken and glass flying off, he said.

The driver, who seemed to be yelling as he drove away, looked younger, he said, adding: “I thought it was just a kid.” Collen then went outside and saw that a landscaper working at his next-door neighbors’ home was on the ground and noticed he was “bloody on the head” as he stood up, he told CNN.

It looked like the landscaper had been hit by bullets, as well as the neighbors’ home and a tree, Collen said. The shots were fired in the area around 11:48 am, said Collen, citing footage captured on his Ring camera.

The shooting took place at the same time law enforcement was responding to a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego, the city’s largest mosque, said Police Chief Scott Wahl. A landscaper on scene was shot at a few blocks away but was not hit, Wahl said.

“We love this area,” said Collen, who had moved into the house with his mother in October. “It’s so many families. It’s incredibly disheartening that this could happen here.”


1 hr 4 min ago

Congressional candidate who went to mosque school says shooting is "deeply devastating"

By Elise Hammond


Ammar Campa-Najjar, a California congressional candidate, appears on CNN on Monday, May 18. CNN

When Ammar Campa-Najjar saw the news about a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego today, it hit close to home, he said.

Campa-Najjar attended the school at the mosque growing up, he told CNN’s Jake Tapper, learning in the classrooms like the kids today were. He said he is “deeply devastated and heartbroken” to learn that three adults were killed, according to police.

“When I heard that there was where they had gone, where the gunman had gone, I remember where those places are, what those classrooms rooms were,” he said. The director of the Islamic Center said earlier that all kids, teachers and staff are safe.

Campa-Najjar, who is running as a Democrat in a nearby California congressional district, said acts of violence like this should spur people to stand up to hate. Police said earlier investigators were considering the shooting a hate crime, for now.

“I think we have to come together and just not let the voices of division — beginning from the very top of our government on down, we have to be better than those voices,” he said.


1 hr 28 min ago

Hate speech was scrawled on one of weapons used in shooting, law enforcement officials say

By Mark Morales and John Miller

One of the suspects in today’s shooting at a San Diego mosque took a firearm from their parents’ home and left a suicide note that contained writings about racial pride, multiple law enforcement officials briefed on the latest told CNN.

Additionally, hate speech was scrawled on one of the weapons that was used in the shooting, the officials said.

The specifics of the language were not immediately clear.


1 hr 17 min ago

Scanner audio captures initial moments of police response

By Sharif Paget

Scanner audio captures when authorities received initial reports of an active shooting at the Islamic Center in San Diego showing the initial rush as police searched for the whereabouts of the shooters.

As officers arrived on the scene, a voice on the scanner gave an initial assessment, reporting “multiple victims” and that the “shooters are not in custody.”

Later on, authorities can be heard asking if the shooters have been caught or taken down.

“We are working on gathering if they have the shooters in custody or if they’re down,” somebody can be heard saying.

Seconds pass before somebody requests emergency assistance for three patients.

About ten minutes later, a voice says, “We need three ambulances up to the intersection of Balboa and Eckstrom Ave,” where the mosque is located.

Police have said three adult men were killed in the attack, including a mosque security guard. Two teenage suspects were also found dead from self-inflicted gunshot wounds inside a car on a nearby street.


1 hr 16 min ago

Police in several major cities increase patrols at houses of worship after deadly shooting

By Zoe Sottile

The police departments in New York City, Washington, DC, Philadelphia and Los Angeles said they’re increasing the police presence at mosques and other houses of worship after the shooting at San Diego’s largest mosque left three people dead today.

The departments noted that there was no known threat and they were increasing deployments out of an abundance of caution.

The post was updated with information about the Philadelphia police department.

No comments:

Post a Comment